Bikes Belong's 2012 Plan
Preserve the Federal Investment in Bicycling
- Continue as lead funder of America Bikes’ work to advance a pro-bike agenda in the next federal transportation bill.
- Increase our government relations efforts with the U.S. House, Senate, Administration, and federal agencies by supporting the work of our new fulltime D.C. staff leader.
- Raise $75,000 for BikesPAC, our political action committee, to contribute to the re-election campaigns of members of Congress who best support bicycling.
Strengthen and Guide our National Partnerships
- Continue our major funding of the Bicycle Friendly America program run by the League of American Bicyclists.
- Serve as a key funder of the Alliance for Biking and Walking and its nationwide efforts to develop and improve state and city bike advocacy groups.
- Continue to serve as a financial supporter of IMBA and the National Complete Streets Coalition.
- Act as title sponsor of the National Bike Summit, celebrating 12 years of growth in participation and effectiveness.
- Back the Bicycle Leadership Conference at a gold level.
- Sponsor other national events that inspire bicycling improvements.
- Expand Peopleforbikes.org, an ambitious, multi-faceted campaign to get one million Americans newly engaged in supporting bicycling. Our goal is to broaden the bike advocacy movement to increase our clout with elected officials, the media, and the public. We began 2012 with 425,000 supporters. Our year-end goal is 750,000.
Award Community Grants
- Award $150,000 in cash grants to exceptional community bike projects through the Bikes Belong Community Grant Program.
- Award $40,000 in cash grants to support research that quantifies the many contributions of bicycling to our nation.
Gather Essential Research & Statistics
- Continue to track, summarize, and publicize studies that analyze bicycling and highlight its benefits to the economy, health, environment, community, and quality of life.
Grow the Bikes Belong Foundation
- Administer the dynamic Safe Routes to School National Partnership—a coalition of 550 organizations with a staff of 23 that is dedicated to increasing the number of U.S. children who walk and bike safely to school.
- Enhance our Bicycling Design Best Practices program that promotes the most innovative bicycle facility solutions of Western Europe and the United States, including hosting study tours for elected officials, planners, engineers, and the media.
- Launch the Green Lane Project—a new effort to speed the development of safer bikeways in six U.S. cities.
- Support blog and syndicated column submissions on key bicycling topics by respected, expert writers.
Bikes Belong members make this important work possible.